CONNECTING THE DOTS: FOOD ACTS AS MEDICINE, TO MAINTAIN, PREVENT, AND TREAT DISEASE.
"LET'S TALK ABOUT HEALTH...LET'S TALK ABOUT YOU AND ME"
FOOD AS MEDICINE:
THE IMPACT OF NUTRITION TO HEALTH & HEALING
In our society today we are bombarded with information about "healthy eating," but we currently suffer from the higher rates of obesity and chronic disease than ever before. We are told one year to avoid fats and next year to avoid carbohydrates. Unfortunately, this has lead many to distrust nutritional advice altogether, particularly anything which claims "food as medicine'.
The food we eat gives our bodies the "information" and materials they need to function properly. If we lack the right information, our metabolic processes suffer and our health declines. If we get too much of the wrong foods, or food that gives our bodies the wrong instructions, we can become overweight, undernourished, and at risk for the development of diseases and conditions, such as arthritis, diabetes, and heart disease.
ESSENTIAL FACTS ABOUT PROPER NUTRITION
- As a nation, we are increasingly eating more processed food. Our supermarkets are full of convenient packaged foods, that appeal to our taste buds, but comprise our nutritional valued intake. Read the ingredient labels before buying anything.
- We are eating less variety foods. It is easy to fall into a pattern of eating fast, convenient, prepared foods, but we are not providing proper nourishment to our body.
- Pat attention to what you are eating. What you put in your system will effect the outcome of your health. Eating healthier meals will help provide the necessary nutrients to the cells in our bodies, that are essential for performance function at optimal level.
- Increase your consumption of whole foods especially vegetables and fruits. In return, this will help to replace the processed foods in your diet, and will actually make your food selections in general very simple. No more counting calories, fat grams, or carbs when you only concern is selecting whole foods that are more a product of nature than a product of industry.
- The renowned Standard American Diet "aka" SAD, is actually quit "sad," because it lacks nutrients and relies heavily on processed foods that include artificial colors, additives, flavorings, and chemically- altered fats and sweeteners.
- Limit your intake of fast foods. Fast food tends to remove us from the pleasure of creating and savoring delightful meal, and our fast pace may prevent us from connecting over a good, slow meal. Instead of eating for convenience and speed, start eating for health and pleasure!
- If you had to peel, chop and deep fry potatoes every time you wanted French fries then you might not eat them very often. Only eating "junk food' such as cakes, sweets, and fried foods as often as you are willing to make them yourself will automatically ensure the frequency is appropriate. In short, "when craving junk food, eat it as long as you cook it yourself'.
Many researchers now believe that chronic health problems, such as depression, diabetes, and heart disease are related to diet. While they used to believe that these health conditions were vastly caused by a single gene mutation, they are now generally attributing them to a network of biological dysfunction. And the food we eat is an important factor that in dysfunction, in part because our diets lack the necessary balance of nutrients. (Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 2012)
To prevent the onset of many diseases, it is important to know how multiple nutrients in a diet interact and affect the human body's functions. As your Naturopath, Dr. Ahaghotu will guide you in the right directional to exceptional health!